Saturday, December 15, 2012

Magnify by Jim Holtzclaw



Luke 1:46-55 NRSV

And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name.
His mercy is for those that fear him from generation to generation.
He has shown strength with his arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts.
He has brought down the powerful from their thrones, and lifted up the lowly; he has filled the hungry with good things, and sent the rich away empty.
He has helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy;
According to the promise he made to our ancestors, to Abraham, and to his descendants forever.”

Let me warn you that if you see me driving without my glasses, you should not only get off the road but hide behind a substantial structure.  While I can see without my glasses, all of you look out of focus.  It is the ability of my glasses to magnify and focus that enables me to see clearly
.
Mary has received an incredible shock.  Being informed by an angel that you’re pregnant would tend to turn one’s world upside down. In the middle of the storm, Mary seeks the safe harbor of her cousin Elizabeth’s house.

God is doing mysterious things.  Too-old-to-become-pregnant Elizabeth is pregnant.  She famously begins her greeting of Mary with, “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb.”
Mary replies with the “Magnificat.”  Mary may be young.  Her family is probably neither famous nor rich.  She hardly lives in a great cosmopolitan city.  Her education may have been “catch as catch can.”  It would seem reasonable that fear and uncertainty dog her steps and nibble at her courage.  Yet, she has a way with words.  Her soul magnifies the Lord.  Her spirit rejoices in God her Savior.  She knows this is the God of Abraham.  She knows this is her God.

This is our God, who through Mary has given a most wonderful gift.  For a Savior is born.  A child who is our Lord and our God, Jesus Christ.  Thanks be to God!
Prayer:

Gracious and Holy God,
Giver of the perfect gift
Give us the heart of your servant
That we magnify you our Lord
In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment