Monday, December 10, 2012

God Is In Us by Emily Cox




Jeremiah 29:11-13

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord.  “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart.”

On the night of September 6, 2002, we received the phone call no parent wants to receive.  Our son had been in a car accident.  As we rushed to the hospital to meet the ambulance with him inside, we realized the severity of the situation.  We were taken to a small room to wait for the doctor’s report.  While in that tiny room, we prayed as never before in our lives.  After doing all they could to save him, the emergency room doctor and a close friend that we had called to help us came into that tiny room.  The look on my friend’s face said it all:  our son was dead.

Our grief was overwhelming and damaged my armor of faith.  My anger grew day by day.  How could God have let this happen?  Where was He when we needed Him the most?  Our friends sustained us with their love and compassion.  They tended to our daily needs and held us up when we didn’t think that we could take another step.  They honored my son in many ways that would have been special to him.  They still talk about him to us, reminding us that they will never forget!

Where was God that night that I needed Him so?  He was in the faces and hearts of countless friends who sustain us to this day.  God is not only always with us, He is always in us.

No comments:

Post a Comment