Monday, March 3, 2014

Positive Vibes by Lauren Reinhardt

I could feel my stomach churn and somersault. Knowing what I ought to do but doing the opposite has that unsettling effect on my gut. But it wasn’t enough, and the words still bubbled out: “Good luck tomorrow. I’ll be thinking about you and sending positive vibes your way.”
Seriously? What is a positive vibe? And just how are my thoughts going to be of any benefit locked inside my thick, obstinate skull?
Why couldn’t I have just said what I was thinking: “I hope your surgery goes well; I will be praying for you.”?
If it had been a church friend, I would have had no problem saying that. But a work colleague out in Washington state that I was literally introducing myself to and speaking with for the very first time? Apparently, I’m not so bold.
In fact, I’m ashamed to admit it, but I caved and took the easy way out. I chose words that had no real or specific meaning, opting instead for the general and vague. But more importantly, I missed an opportunity to share my faith.  
Sharing your faith doesn't have to be complicated. But it does mean using some specific words, and I’m pretty sure “good luck” and “positive vibes” aren’t quite what Jesus expects of us.
Sure, it’s nice to let people know you are thinking of them. But the choice of words is important. By including, “I will pray for you,” I would have showed just a glimmer of my faith, as well as a caring interest in his well being. But that glimmer might have given him courage to ask about my faith, or open a dialogue; it might have bolstered his own faith; or it might have been a little water on a seed planted – or the seed itself! No opportunity is too small for us to show and share our faith – or for God to do mighty, miraculous work through us!

I have an accountability group of sisters in Christ, and one commitment I’ve made this year is to find ways to be a blessing and in so doing live out my faith. Looks like I still have plenty of room for improvement. Thank goodness for grace. Now, ya’ll pray that I (and we!) do better next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment