Thursday, February 23, 2017

Reflections from "Jesus in the Gospels" Bible Study by Sharon Mitchell

As I think about Jesus being anointed by Mary, I see a gracious and kind man accepting the selfless gift of perfume offered by Mary. Then I picture him in the Last Supper. He is so strong, sure and focused on the fulfillment of his prophecy. He enacts the meaning of his impending death again as his “self-giving” is evident for the disciples as he breaks bread and shares the cup.
In Gethsemane, my heart is breaking. As he prays with his Father, he is showing agony. Jesus experienced mental and spiritual suffering as he prayed, and he felt alone. He said, “The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” He knew the cup would not be removed. 
Picturing Jesus in this study helps me connect to the Jesus in my own life. I too pray that many times “the cup” will be removed in my life. However, being a disciple of Jesus many times it is not what I want, but, like Jesus, what I know and feel that You want for my life. 
In following Jesus he commands us to love the Lord God with all our strength, mind, and soul; and to love our neighbor. In my walk with Jesus I pray that I will be “among the sheep, the righteous.” It will not always be easy, and many difficulties will surely be a part of this walk. But that’s when I am most assured that he is always holding me by my right hand. Even in Gethsemane when God was silent, He was with Jesus. “I will never leave you, nor forsake you.”

Yes, I believe!

No comments:

Post a Comment